To prepare for Brexit, the government has issued new information about the documents needed for vehicles with a gross weight rating of more than 3.5 tonnes on international journeys. We’ve summarised what our Leeds HGV trailer hire customers need to know before the 31st of October.

What are ECMT permits?


A European Conference of Ministers of Transport permit—or ECMT permit—is required for any international road haulage after the 31st of October. The vehicle and the trailer each require their own ECMT permit; there is no certificate that covers both of them.

Manufacturers of vehicles and trailers are responsible for issuing these permits. Leeds Trailers are guaranteed to have ECMT trailer permits; we can help drivers work out which certificates they need. Drivers are responsible for ensuring they have all the right documentation before they begin their journey.

When do you need permits? 


Drivers will need permits if they travel in any of the 43 ECMT countries:

 Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the UK.

If you travel to any non-EU countries which the the UK has an agreement with, you will require a a bilateral road haulage permit:

 Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Russia, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.

Bilateral road haulage permits are valid for one complete journey, including both the outward and return trips. Visit the website for more information on non-EU country permits.

Trailer ECMT permits include:


Type and make of trailer

Identification number

 Compliance with technical safety standards 

Information must be provided using the official template, and printed on light yellow paper.

Vehicle ECMT permits include:


● Type and make of the vehicle 

 The identification number

 The engine type and number 

 Compliance with technical safety standards 

 Compliance with noise and exhaust emissions standards 

Information must be provided using the official template, and printed on light green paper.

Drivers should expect to receive copies of the translated permits in English, German and French. Drivers are responsible for ensuring they have copies of both vehicle and trailer ECMT certificates of compliance.

Other important documents for international road haulage


Although these documents aren’t new to international road haulage, they will remain relevant after the 31st of October:

Document declaring the nature of the goods being transported 

Driving time sheet and breaks (note that EU driver hours and breaks are likely to differ from UK ones in the future)

New information for January 2020 is expected in due course. 

Leeds Trailers’ team is well-informed about both domestic and international road haulage. We also offer specialist trailer hire and HGV trailer hire, and we can provide you with the perfect trailer for your requirements.

You can get in touch directly with our experienced haulage team, to ensure you find the right trailer. Call us on 01924 420 646, or get in touch through our online contact form instead.